School Intake Information
Coleraine Grammar School
Coleraine Grammar School a brief overview.
Coleraine Grammar School is an amalgamation of Coleraine Academical Institution and Coleraine High School.
Coleraine Inst (CAI) opened in 1860, with just two “masters” and fourteen boys. Coleraine High School was founded in 1874 by the Misses Long and the school was very keen to provide girls with a good education – not common in the 19th Century. CAI is situated on 70 acres of land that stretches down to the River Bann in Coleraine town. Its boarding department closed in 1999. Coleraine High School was situated on a site at Spring Gardens on the Lodge Road (Coleraine) and the school boarding department closed in 1997. In September 2015, Coleraine Academical Institution and Coleraine High School came together to form Coleraine Grammar School. The new Coleraine Grammar School currently operates on the existing two sites. Over the next few years it is planned to locate all the pupils and staff onto an expanded site on the Castlerock Road.
Coleraine Grammar School uses the new SEAG Single Entrance Transfer Test results as part of its intake criteria into year 8.