Down High School
Down High School a brief overview.
The town commissioner and Cathedral organist, Mr AJH Coulter, was central to the founding of Down High School which opened its gates in September 1933 with ninety-six pupils. Down High School has a beautiful setting being built on one of the four distinctive hills in the town of Downpatrick. The walls surrounding the school are part of the original boundary walls of the old gaol. Originally there were two schools on the same site – the Grammar School and the Technical School. The complete site is now occupied by the grammar school – Down High School. The school continues to grow in size and now has over 900 pupils and over 50 teaching staff.
Down High School uses the new SEAG Single Entrance Transfer Test results as part of its intake criteria into year 8.