NI Grammar School Admission criteria for
These details have been updated.
Admission criteria for grammar schools in Northern Ireland for entrance in September 2022 have changed.
In the autumn term of 2021-2022 school year the Transfer Test - either the AQE or GL (PPTC) version has was used as part of the admissions policy for entry into year 8 by many schools. However some schools decided not to use either the AQE or GL (PPTC) Transfer Test and so those schools have developed new admission criteria for entry into Year 8 in September 2022.
These Grammar School admission criteria can vary greatly from school to school and you should make yourself aware of all the criteria details as they will determine which children will be admitted to this school in September 2022.
Make sure that you provide the school with all the information that they require as the school will use the information that you provide when making their decision about which children are admitted in September 2022.
Christian Brothers’ Grammar School
CHRISTIAN BROTHERS’ GRAMMAR SCHOOL
Telephone: 028 8224 3567
Principal: Mr Foncy McConnell
Chairman of the Board of Governors: Mr Patrick McMahon
Voluntary Grammar School Boys
Age Range: 11-18
Admissions No: 135
Enrolment No: 950
Virtual Open Day Available from Monday 10th January 2022
RESPECTIVE FUNCTIONS OF THE BOARD OF GOVERNORS AND PRINCIPAL IN RELATION TO ADMISSIONS
The Christian Brothers' Grammar School, Omagh is a Catholic grammar school for boys which serves the community of the local area as indicated by the list of feeder primary schools. This school wishes to accept boys who are academically suited for the type of education it offers and whose parents/guardians are in agreement with the ethos and aims of the school. The Board of Governors has delegated the responsibilities for the task of applying the criteria as indicated below to a Transfer Sub Committee, which includes the School Principal.
Applications made in a particular academic year will be considered only for entry in that year. Thereafter, applicants will be required to make a new application for any subsequent year. A waiting list of applicants who made an initial application for admission in 2022 will be held until Friday 9th September 2022. Thereafter, parents/guardians who wish their child to be considered, should a place become available, must make a new application.
ADMISSIONS CRITERIA 2022
▪ For the application of the Admissions Criteria, if there are more boys who meet one of the criteria than there are places available, then the remaining criteria will become sub-criteria and applied successively in the order set out until the final selection is completed.
▪ Therefore, the criteria further down the ranking list serve as sub-criteria or tiebreakers for the admissions process.
1. Preference will be given to boys who give the Christian Brothers’ Grammar School Omagh as their first-choice school on the Application Form.
2. Boys with a brother who is currently a pupil or was a past pupil of the Christian Brothers’ Grammar School Omagh or has been selected for admission to the school in the coming school year.
3. Boys who are from traditional feeder primary schools listed below.
4. Boys who at the date of their application are the eldest of the family to be eligible to apply for admission to the school.
5. Boys who are entitled to Free School Meals. “Entitled to Free School Meals” will mean applicants who are listed on the Education Authority register as entitled to Free School Meals. The last date for parents to communicate to the Education Authority their entitlement to free school meals is no later than 4pm on 9 March 2022.
6. Boys with a parent currently on the permanent staff of the Christian Brothers’ Grammar School Omagh or a member of the Board of Governors of the School.
7. Boys who have a parent or grandparent who is a past pupil of the Christian Brothers’ Grammar School Omagh and where verifiable evidence has been submitted.
8. Boys ranked by date of birth as entered on the Birth Certificate with the eldest being admitted first.
9. In the event of two or more boys having the same date of birth and thereby qualifying for the last place(s), the boys will be ranked by alphabetical order of surname and then forenames as listed on the birth certificate.
10. If following this procedure there are still two or more boys with the same surname and forenames as appear on their birth certificates, then applicants will be admitted by Computerised Random Selection.
Admissions criteria for entry September 2022
Updated January 2022 www.eani.org.uk/admissions
List of Feeder Primary Schools for the Christian Brothers Omagh
All Saints Tattysallagh
St Caireall's Aghyaran
St Mary's Killyclogher
Arvalee Primary School
St Catherine’s Strabane
St Mary's Pomeroy
Christ the King Omagh
St Columba's Clady
St Mary's Strabane
Drumduff Primary School
St Columbkille's Carrickmore
St Oliver Plunkett's Beragh
Drumlish Primary School
St Conor's Omagh
St Patrick's Aughadarragh
Gaelscoil na gCrann
St Dympna's Dromore
St Patrick's Castlederg
Gaelscoil Ui Dhochartaigh
St Eugene's Victoria Bridge
St Patrick's Eskra
St Eugene's Tycur
St Patrick's Gortin
Omagh Integrated P.S.
St Joseph's Drumquin
St Patrick's Newtownstewart
Our Lady of Lourdes P.S.
St Joseph's Ederney
St Peter's Plumbridge
Recarson Primary School
St Joseph's Kildress
St Scire's Trillick
Roscavey Primary School
St Lawrence's Fintona
St Teresa's Glebe
Sacred Heart Tattyreagh
St Macartan's Clogher
St Teresa's Loughmacrory
Sion Mills Primary School
St Malachy's Glencull
Tattygar Primary School
St Brigid's Altamuskin
St Michael’s Dunamanagh
The Holy Family Omagh
St Brigid's Cranagh
St Mary's Ballygawley
Tummery Primary School
St Brigid's Mountfield
St Mary's Cloughcor
Verification of all Information
The Board of Governors reserves the right to require such supplementary evidence as it may determine to support or verify information on the Transfer Application or appended to the Transfer Application by parents/guardians. For verification purposes original documents are required and not photocopies.
The provision of false or incorrect information or the failure to provide any further requested verifying documents within a deadline set by the Christian Brothers’ Grammar School will result in either the withdrawal of a place or the inability of the school to offer a place.
It is the responsibility of parents/guardians to ensure that:
• The Transfer Application and other necessary documentation is correctly completed.
• Any Special Provision being claimed is properly documented as described in detail above and in the guidance documentation available from our school.
• The provision of any verification documents required is the responsibility of the parents/ guardians of the child and should be provided within specified deadlines.
Failure to ensure that this occurs may lead to any request for special circumstances not being considered and/or the application not being considered by the Board of Governors and/or the withdrawal of a place in the school.
NUMBERS OF APPLICATIONS AND ADMISSIONS
Total Applications All Preferences
*Total Admissions includes statemented pupils and/or pupils admitted following an appeal.
Admissions Criteria for Years 9 and upwards are available by contacting the school.
** This information is provided for guidance only and while the content is, to the best of our knowledge, accurate we cannot be held in any way responsible for any errors or omissions that it may contain. Please contact your LA or chosen grammar school for all admission and Transfer Test queries.**